A Lover’s Guide to Finding the Best Sex Shop
A great way to spice up things in the bedroom is to introduce some sex toys into your love life.
If you are new to the world of adult products, shopping for sex toys may be a bit intimidating. Maybe you’ve heard scary stories about creepy porn shops, or you are just overwhelmed by the sheer number of sex toys there are on the market.
So, how do you go about finding a good sex shop that you will feel comfortable shopping at?
There are a few things you should consider first before going to a sex shop to make sure you have the best experience.
Should Your Shop In Person?
There are both Pros and Cons for shopping in person.
- You get to touch the toys and “test” out the products before you buy. You can see the products in person and see the actual size, put in batteries and see how it works, feel the material, and get a better idea of what the toy really looks like
- Most brick and mortar stores will have helpful staff that can recommend sex toys that will work for you based on your preferences or the experience your want to achieve.
- The staff may be able to educate you on new types of pleasure you may not have considered and show you a variety of toys.
- The shop may also offer education workshops so you can learn more about a certain type of sexual activity you may want to try.
- You get to take the toy home with you right away to try out when you purchase in person.
- Many sex shops only have a select number of toys as compared to online shopping.
- The staff may have incentives to sell you toys that earn them more commission.
- Prices will probably be higher than what you find online.
- You may feel too shy or embarrassed to go shopping at a local sex shop in person.
Should You Shop Online?
Here are the Pros and Cons for Shopping online.
- Often, online stores have more selection and better prices.
- You can read customer reviews to help you make a decision.
- You can compare multiple types of the same products easily.
- Some online stores have phone and live chat to give you extra support so you can ask questions.
- It is less embarrassing, so you can shop in secret and in private.
- You can compare products at numerous sex shops.
- It is less personalized shopping online.
- Many sex shops online don’t have customer support.
- You can’t see and hold the toy in person, so you could end up getting something you didn’t bargain for.
- You will have to wait for shipping so won’t get instant gratification.
- Shipping may be very expensive, in some stores as much as the product itself.
- The sheer number of toys may be overwhelming.
How to Decide on Which Sex Store to Shop At
Now that you’ve decided whether to shop online or in person, here are some other considerations.
What is the sex shop’s reputation? Do they have good, bad or neutral ratings? You can check sex toy shops online at Yelp! Or the BBB to find out how good a shop rates, plus find real customer reviews. Don’t forget to check out their Google Ratings and FB page as well.
What kind of toys do they carry and who shops there? Do they cater to couples’ toys? Are they GLBQT friendly? Is the vibe modern, upbeat, fun, friendly, educational? Or, is it dated and a place that has porn theatres, XXX-rated movies and cheap adult novelties?
Do they carry quality brands and luxury products, or an affordable, mid-quality range? What manufacturers do they carry? Are they a BDSM only kink store, or specialize in a particular niche? Or do they sell everything? Not that either is good or bad, it all depends on what you are looking for. Niche shops many carry unique, artisan crafted toys, while stores that generalize tend to carry mainstream type products.
Are they even a sex shop? Or a department store that has a small selection of adult items?
If they are a brick and mortar location, how far are they from your neighborhood?
If they are an online store, what are their shipping and billing and privacy policies? How much is shipping, do they have any sales, coupons or offers?
The most important thing of course, is to make your shopping spree with your lover like a fun adventure. Talk about what type of toys you may like to try out together and browse online first to see what is available. Go outside of your comfort zone a little to make it even more exciting. Create a fantasy, spice up your date night, stretch your boundaries.
Play safe and have fun!